Tuesday 3 July 2012

Getting to grips with our literature

For we young ones who love literature, our passion is not as simple as we thought. There is so much to learn that it is frightening really. Writers clubs have been helping us. We knew English literature was boundless with hundreds of books overseas, but we did not know that even African and S.A literature is so wide and diverse. But I have learnt a lot in this wise, and will continue to do so. The experts say literature is a life-long pursuit and one should start with SA Black literature, with the pioneers. I now know about Sol Plaatje, Peter Abrahams, Es’kia Mphahlele. I even read Plaatje’s Mhudi! As regards recent S.A writing one has also been introduced to impressive writers like Lewis Nkosi, Gomolemo Mokae, Zakes Mda, Njabulo Ndebele, Duiker, Mzemane etc. I read Zakes Heart of Redness which I found quite elevated. But trying to read or understand Kgafela ao Mokgodi was even more difficult, great poet though he is. So I would rather play his C.D verses over and over again! Yet when one considers the contributions of our African women to literature our awe increases. For we young ones they are our grandmothers really. The women are among the world s best in writing. I have in mind world respected writers like Miriam Tlali, Sindiwe Magona, Zoe Wicomb, Laureta Ngcobo. Superb South African female writers. I read many parts of Magona’s Mother to mother - brilliant. - Jeffrey Tshabalala

No comments:

Post a Comment